Svartholma Sea Fortress is located on an island about 10 km from Loviisa. Construction of the fortress began in 1748, and the main parts were completed in the 1750s. It belonged to Sweden until when it was surrendered to Russia in 1808. The fortress served as a jail from the 1830s to 1847. During the Crimean War, it was destroyed by the British attack in 1855, and became a ruin. Nowadays, the fortress is a sightseeing place, and possible to visit there by ferry-boat in summer time. It takes about 45 minutes from Loviisa.

 
Location : Loviisa
Date : 1748
 
   
 
 
   
Previous        List of Fortresses        Next     


Home

Photographs and images may not be used without our written permission.
Copyright © Muuka.Com, All Rights Reserved.