The town of Hamina is surrounded by star-shaped fortress. The history of this circular town dates back to 1653. Construction of the fortress began in 1723 by Sweden, and completed in the beginning of the 19th century by Russia. Corners of the fortress form 6 bastions, and they are named after Finnish towns. The Central Bastion was added at the end of the 18th century, and is used for cultural events at present.

 
Location : Hamina
Date : 1723
 
 
   
Previous        List of Fortresses        Next     


Home

Photographs and images may not be used without our written permission.
Copyright © Muuka.Com, All Rights Reserved.