Virolahti Church was built in a cruciform shape during the years
1765-1768. The current appearance dates from the restoration in 1939 and
the church was re-painted in 1989. Also, the decoration of the pulpit
dates from 1939. The altar piece was painted in 1914 and the stained glass
is from 1964. In 1957, a lightning strike started a fire that destroyed
the belfry dating from 1778, and the current belfry was erected in 1958 to
replace it. The old sacristy in the churchyard is from the 14th century
and it is the most eastern stone church in the Finland.