The oldest parts of Turku Cathedral date from the beginning of the 13th century. The church was completed in the end of the 13th century, and dedicated in 1300 as a Cathedral to St. Mary and the first bishop of Finland St. Henry. It has been enlarged and reconstructed several times during the centuries. The worst damage to the church was caused by the Great Fire of Turku in 1827. The present appearance dates to the reconstruction after the fire. The altar complex and pulpit were designed by Carl Engel. The altarpiece was painted in 1836, and the Romantic-style mural paintings were painted by the court painter R.W. Ekman. The latest major renovation was completed in 1979. The seating capacity is 1200. Turku Cathedral is the mother church of the Lutheran Church of Finland and National Shrine of the country.