Taivassalon kirkko (Pyhan Ristin kirkko)

The Church of the Holy Cross was built in the 14th century, and was remodeled in the 15th century. It is oblong in shape, and has been reconstructed after the fire in 1642, and in 1890. The murals are mostly from the 15th century, but the oldest ones date from the 14th century. The belfry was built in 1786.


in Taivassalo





     


 
 

Tammisaaren kirkko

Construction of Tammisaari Church began in 1651, and it was discontinued in the middle of the 1660s. The construction resumed in 1672, and the tower was completed in 1686-1687. However, the church was destroyed by fire in 1821. The present appearance designed by C. Bassi dates from the reconstruction in 1825 and 1839-1842. The stained glass from 1924 is a work of Karin Slotte.


in Tammisaari

     




     


 
 

Turun Ortodoksinen kirkko

Turku Orthodox Church was built in 1839-1846. It was designed by Carl Engel in the Empire style. The church has many icons from Valamo monastery.


in Turku

   




     


 
 

Mikaelinkirkko

Michael's Church was built in 1899-1905 in the Neo-Gothic style, and is oblong in shape. It was designed by Lars Sonck who was a 23 years old architectural student when he won the competition for the church in 1894. The church was restored in 1984-1987. The seating capacity is 1800. It is a popular place for weddings, and often used for concerts.


in Turku

     




     


 
 

Martinkirkko

Martin's Church was built in 1932-1933 in the architectural style of Functionalism, and is oblong in shape. It was dedicated in 1933 when was the 450th anniversary of the birth of Martin Luther. The altarpiece painted al secco is 15 meters high and 9.5 meters wide.


in Turku

   




     


 
 

Tuusulan kirkko

Tuusula Church was built in 1732-1734. The current appearance of the wooden cruciform church is from the reconstructions in 1853 and in 1902. The belfry was originally built in the end of the 17th century, and the present appearance dates from the reconstructions in 1818 and in 1903. The national author of Finland Aleksis Kivi, and a famous painter Pekka Halonen are buried in the cemetery.


in Tuusula

 




     


 
 

Kellokosken kirkko

Kellokoski Church was completed in 1800, and is oblong in shape. It was owned by Kellokoski Ironworks until 1967 when Tuusula Parish purchased the church. The crowns above the windows remind of the Swedish era. The church was restored three times, and the latest renovation was done in 1989-1990.


in Tuusula





   
Previous        List of Churches        Next     


Home

Photographs and images may not be used without our written permission.
Copyright © Muuka.Com, All Rights Reserved.