The oldest parts of the Porvoo Cathedral date from the end of the 13th century. The church was dedicated to St. Mary, and the current Gothic-style appearance is mainly from the reconstruction in 1414-1418. The building has been destroyed several times. The interior is decorated with wall paintings from the end of the 15th century, and the pulpit was made in 1764. The church became a Cathedral in 1723, and has a seating capacity of 750. The belfry's oldest parts date from medieval times, and the present appearance is from the 18th century. The roof of the church was completely destroyed by fire in May of 2006.