St. John's Church was built in 1888-1891. It was designed in the Neo-Gothic style by Adolf Melander, and is oblong in shape. The organ was built in 1891, and the altarpiece was painted by Eero Jarnefelt in 1932. The twin towers which characterize the church are 74 meters high. The church stands on a hill where people used to make bonfires on midsummer. The name of the church came from St. John's Day which is another name of the day. Due to the growth of Helsinki's population, the Old Church and the Cathedral became inadequate. Therefore, the New Church was built with the seating capacity of 2600. St. John's Church is the most capacitious stone church in Finland.